Building on a tradition of caring.
PMH Medical Center celebrated its 60th anniversary in late 2007. Since our inception, hospital administration and staff have strived to achieve the highest standards in healthcare and have worked to ensure that the care is available when needed. That tradition of caring is evident today with the expansion of the Surgery Center and the acquisition of the most advanced hip and knee replacement technology available anywhere.
Like any number of community based hospitals, PMH grew out of a need for the immediate availability of local medical services. The concept of building a local hospital began in the early 1940s, when foresighted community members joined together to raise the necessary funds to build a hospital. A community meeting in 1943 netted $4,000 in pledges toward the construction of the facility. Over the next two years, community members went on to raise $50,000. Two years later, on December 26, 1947, Prosser Memorial Hospital opened its doors as a 19-bed facility. It was dedicated to the veterans of
World War II.
In the ensuing decades, PMH Medical Center has grown to meet the needs of the community it serves. In 1952, a medical wing was added. Two years later, the long-term care facility was built. Operating rooms, larger X-ray rooms, and a maternity ward followed. Recent expansion and upgrades have allowed PMH Medical Center to offer the most advanced surgical procedures, medical diagnostic technology, radiology, obstetric, and emergency care.
Today, PMH continues to operate as a non-profit organization, providing healthcare services to an ever increasing number of patients. Thousands of individuals have benefited from PMH care over the years and continue to take comfort in the immediate availability of first class healthcare—with a local touch.